SOUTHAMPTON, Va. (WRIC) — Another inmate has passed away due to complications from the coronavirus at the Deerfield Correctional Center. The Virginia Department of Corrections reported on Saturday that 14 Deerfield inmates have been killed by COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.
The 13th death at the center was reported on Friday.
Over the course of the pandemic, 723 inmates and 35 staff members have contracted the virus. VDOC says there are currently 368 infected inmates on-site and 15 hospitalized.
On Friday, our sister-station WRIC took action and spoke with numerous staff members from Deerfield who said there was not enough personal protective equipment available at the facility. On top of that workers said thorough cleaning was not being done and inmates were not being taken care of properly.
- Ohio woman creates Baby Yoda from 451-pound pumpkin
- Trump encourages people to change their ballots. Here are states where you can
- Recent Listeria infection outbreak traced back to deli meat, CDC says
- Anxiety 2020: Voters worry about safety at the polls
- 2021 income tax brackets released: Where do you stand?