LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) – Centra provided new coronavirus data for its hospitals on Wednesday as part of a weekly update.
In its Wednesday, Sept. 22, Centra says they have 105 total patients admitted. Of those, 16 are fully vaccinated, 21 are in ICU and 18 are ventilated.
- 94 are at Lynchburg General Hospital (LGH)
- 11 are at Southside Community Hospital (SCH)
Units that are currently devoted to COVID-19 include Versatile Acuity Unit (COVID Unit), pulmonary, oncology, surgical and pediatrics.
During the month of September, Centra says they have had 41 deaths since the start of September.
Other highlights announced include:
- Fluctuations this week.
- On Monday, Sept. 20, Centra says they peaked at 120 COVID-positive inpatients at Lynchburg General Hospital, marking the highest volume seen during the surge. In January 2021, the hospital topped out at 131 at LGH.
- “We remain hopefull we will continue to see our numbers decline this week. Historically, when COVID cases begin to drop, they drop dramatically,” reads a statement from Centra.
- Unvaccinated populations dominate hospitalizations.
- Demographics (age, comorbidities, etc.) also are fluctuating. The hospital says they are seeing younger populations than pre-Delta variant waves, but with the increase in 30-59 year olds in the last week, they are seeing declines in patients wih preexisting comorbidies.
- Staff challenges.
- “We remain challenged by staffing throughout Centra, whith high demands on our hospital bed capacity as well as increasing number of furloughs of caregivers for COVID,” says Centra.
The hospitals’ COVID-19 dashboard is updated each day, which can be found by clicking here.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.