SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, Va. (WFXR) — After already postponing the annual SML Business Expo for six months amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce (SMLRCC) announced Monday morning the event’s cancellation for 2020.
According to a statement released by the SMLRCC on Monday, Oct. 5, organizers needed to cancel the event — which was originally postponed from May to Oct. 15 — due to ongoing coronavirus concerns, as well as the current limitations on indoor gatherings and the uncertainty regarding Virginia coronavirus regulations.
“While this annual event is a favorite for many, the need to prioritize the health and safety of our exhibitors, staff and community remains an utmost priority and was top of mind throughout the decision making process,” stated Christopher Finley, executive director of the SMLRCC.
Monday’s statement says the funds from the SML Business Expo not only benefit the SMLRCC, but also support operations sustainment, the continuation of community programs and member services, tourism promotion, and management of the Smith Mountain Lake Visitor Center.
“It’s been a difficult and challenging year but we remain optimistic as we navigate the road to recovery.”
The SMLRCC says are underway for the next SML Business Expo to take place May 7, 2021.
- White House lists ‘ending the COVID-19 pandemic’ as an accomplishment
- Good Samaritan saves kitten frozen to truck tire in Colorado
- 6-year-old boy’s ‘YouCanBeABCs’ rap video inspires kids to dream big
- Boeing makes deeper job cuts as aircraft business slows
- Appomattox County authorities share new picture of ‘person of interest’ in homicide investigation