LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Centra’s continuous process for evaluating the health needs of the Central Virginia region — also known as the Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) — has completed its findings and received approval from Centra’s four Boards of Directors to move forward, officials announced Wednesday.
According to Centra, Community Health Assessment Teams are composed of more than 150 key nonprofits and community leaders who represent the populations they serve.
Health officials say the process was guided by the Partnership for Healthy Communities, a regional planning initiative that includes leaders from Centra; Community Access Network; Bedford Community Health Foundation; the Greater Lynchburg Community Foundation; Johnson Health Center; United Way of Centra Virginia; and the Central Virginia, Piedmont, and Pittsylvania/Danville health districts.
This partnership is reportedly committed to aligning the communities’ needs to elicit change while improving the health of those who live there.
Based on the prioritization of the needs uncovered in the assessment, Centra and local community partners are set to begin implementation planning across Centra’s three service areas.
According to officials, ongoing issues related to access to care, mental health and substance use disorders, and food and housing insecurity were confirmed around the Lynchburg, Bedford, and Farmville areas. In addition, new issues like domestic violence, child neglect, the impact of limited broadband access, joblessness, and the lack of childcare and eldercare services emerged as some of the top needs to be addressed in the next three years.
You can read the entire reports for each of Centra’s three service areas by following this link. However, summaries and key findings of each report are included below:
- Lynchburg Area Community Health Needs Assessment for Centra Lynchburg General Hospital, Centra Virginia Baptist Hospital, and Centra Specialty Hospital
- Includes the City of Lynchburg, as well as Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell, and Pittsylvania counties
- Focused on lifting the voice of the community by collecting 4,450 Community Health Surveys and over 65 sources of publicly available secondary data, as well as conducting a stakeholder focus group/survey
- Bedford Area Community Health Needs Assessment for Centra Bedford Memorial Hospital
- Includes the Town of Bedford and Bedford County
- Focused on lifting the voice of the community by collecting 857 Community Health Surveys and over 65 sources of publicly available secondary data, as well as conducting a stakeholder focus group/survey
- Farmville Area Community Health Needs Assessment for Centra Southside Community Hospital
- Includes the Town of Farmville, as well as Amelia, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Nottoway, and Prince Edward counties
- Focused on lifting the voice of the community by collecting 1,056 Community Health Surveys and more than 65 sources of publicly-available secondary data, as well as conducting a stakeholder focus group/survey
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list