ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — For 72 years, the Rescue Mission of Roanoke has served hundreds of thousands of people in the Roanoke Valley.
Our team members at WFXR and WWCW have been excited to work with the Rescue Mission for the last six weeks to get the community involved in the Rescue Mission’s biggest annual event: the Drumstick Dash fundraiser, which has been extended until the end of the year.
On Tuesday, Dec. 8, the Nexstar Media Charitable Foundation announced it will donate $5,000 to the Rescue Mission of Roanoke on behalf of WFXR-TV, WWCW-TV, and WFXRtv.com.
The Rescue Mission of Roanoke serves as a crisis intervention center for men, women, and children, offering life-saving services aimed at restoration and transformation. Therefore, this $5,000 donation will be used to help the organization continue providing critical social services for those in need throughout the area.
WFXR-TV and WFXRtv.com have a long track record of supporting the Rescue Mission. In addition, WFXR-TV serves as the media partner for the organization, as well as one of the presenting sponsors for its signature fundraising event, the Drumstick Dash.
This year, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the annual walk/run had to be held virtually.
However, thanks to the extended registration period, this means you can still participate in the Drumstick Dash on your own time and your own route up through Dec. 31.
- Gun ban for public buildings, certain events goes into effect in Blacksburg
- Wizardry or AI? New service animates old still photos, bringing them to life
- Pulaski resident charged in connection with 13 BB-gun-related property damage incidents
- Third stimulus checks: Will we get $1,400 payments in March?
- Federal grand jury indicts man on firearms, mail theft charges in Salem