ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Freedom First Credit Union announced their 2019 grant recipients, totaling $35,0000, benefiting community nonprofits in Roanoke and the New River Valley.
The 2019 grant recipients are:
- Blue Ridge Literacy – The $3,000 grant will go towards their citizenship classes, and the organization’s goal to achieve a 100% pass rate for participants scheduled to take the 2020 citizenship test.
- Boys & Girls Club of SWVA – The $5,000 grant will support the Project Learn Program, which presents academic programming to students.
- LovABLE Services – The $5,000 will support Chris’s Coffee & Custard, a job training site for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Franklin County Public School Educational Foundation – The $5,000 grant will support the Life Check Program, which teaches students personal financing
- Live, Work, Eat, Gather, Inc., Millstone Kitchen – The $5,000 grant will support Millstone Kitchen, a shared commercial kitchen, located in the old School center of the Prices Fork Elementary School.
- Roanoke Children’s Theatre – $2,000 will support RCT4TEENS, a health education program using theatre to learn healthy behaviors.
- Roanoke Hospitality House – $5,000 will go towards providing adult patients and caregivers traveling to Roanoke a comfortable alternative to a hospital waiting room.
- TAP – $5,000 will support Sabrina’s Place, which serves families affected by domestic violence and/or sexual assault by providing a secured facility for supervised visitations.
- Authorities on scene of ongoing incident in Wythe County
- Mustangs beat Muddogs, 9-2, to notch third win in a row
- No one hurt after structure fire in Roanoke
- California pair charged with hate crime for vandalizing Black Lives Matter mural
- With efforts to grow wheelchair tennis, Hokies hope to fill void of adaptive sports in the area