ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR News) – Officials from Roanoke City Fire-EMS are working to educate people about the proper way to heat their homes if they have to use a space heater.
There are a lot of concerns after one reportedly caused a fire this past weekend and seven people were displaced.
Officials say it all started because a space heater was plugged into an extension cord instead of the wall overloading the circuit.
Community Risk Reduction Specialist Kristen Perdue says people should use caution when using a space heater. Always plug it directly into the wall, make sure it’s about three feet from anything flammable, never lay clothes or anything on top of one and make sure to turn it off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
“Especially during this time, winter months are prone to accidents happening. So whether that’s your space heater, your electric blanket, candles, fireplace, and different things like that, make sure you’re being extra vigilant around this time and taking caution,” said Perdue.
Perdue also says to make sure you have a working smoke detector and C.O. alarm.
- Roanoke launches “Every Corner is a Crosswalk” pedestrian safety campaign
- Virginia rocket launch may be visible for most of East Coast and as far west as Ohio
- Man shot in neck while driving on Indiana interstate with 3-year-old in car, girlfriend says
- Trio of Ohio sisters give birth on same day at same hospital
- Body of missing Tazewell County man found, murder arrests made