Family thanks first responders following November home fire

News

It was November 1st at around 7:45 pm when Nancy DeGeorgis was informed that her home was on fire.

Two of her children, Ethan and 10-year-old Emma were at the home alone, along with their family pets.

The fire was caused by a candle in Ethan’s room located upstairs. When the alarm initially sounded off the kids assumed it may be an error.

We thought maybe just a little smoke set it off from the candles, so it wasn’t going off, so I told Ethan to go check his candles. I was like weirded out while it was going off because it’s not that much smoke from just a little candle, so he saw it, he screamed, and so I knew it was serious.

Emma, 10 year-old-daughter of homeowner

The family has an ADT alarm system. The alarm signal connected them to Genise Quinton at the Knoxville center. She called Nancy who said her two kids were there along with pets. Nancy then asked Genise to send firefighters immediately.

Nancy DeGeorgis, like any parent would be, was worried for her children’s safety.

With her son Ethan being slightly autistic and Emma, at a young age, Nancy says it would have been a much more devastating outcome without her daughter’s bravery, ADT, and the fire department.

She believes the sensitivity of the alarm and swift notification to the first responders helped her children to escape, and because of that, her family met up with their rescuers today to say thank you.

The emergency dispatcher from ADT’s monitoring center in Knoxville drove several hours to meet the family, a resolution that allowed her to know they were safe in the aftermath of the dangerous fire.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form