RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) – The Virginia Board of Education is seeking written public comment on the Standards of Quality (SOQ) which outlines the foundational instructional programs and support services all schools must provide.
With many schools turning to virtual learning for the fall semester, the Board is reviewing the Oct. 2019 SOQ to ensure these standards still reflect the condition and needs of students attending Virginia’s public schools. During the July 23 meeting, the Board considered first review of a resolution prescribing the Standards of Quality.
The latest standards are aligned with the Board’s goals of promoting educational equity, supporting educator recruitment and retention, and helping students and schools achieve the Board’s graduation and accreditation requirements.
The Constitution of Virginia requires the Board of Education to prescribe Standards of Quality for all public schools of Virginia, subject to revision only by the General Assembly.
Written comments from the public will be accepted until Aug. 28, 2020, and may be submitted to the Board by clicking here.
- Pinpoint Weather: Foggy start with not much sunshine until later this afternoon
- Cavaliers prep for season opener against Duke
- Dr. Fauci: U.S. still in the first wave, seasonal ‘challenge’ lies ahead
- COVID-19 has Mayors advising citizens to refrain from typical Halloween activities
- Lynchburg Parks and Recreation to host 4th Annual Glow Ride at Riverside Park