Cynthia Carver told man she would ‘wait up for him’ the night she disappeared, court docs show

cynthia carver_1553191183136.jpg.jpg

The night before Cynthia Carver was reported missing from her Newsoms home, her 10-year-old child heard her receive a phone call from a man and tell him that she would “wait up for him,” court documents show. 

Carver’s body was discovered in the southern part of Suffolk on Tuesday morning, close to where she disappeared in February. She was last seen around 9 p.m. on Feb. 21 when she dropped her children off at a babysitter’s home on Thomaston Road, Southampton County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Camden Cobb told 10 On Your Side earlier this month. 

It was also around 9 p.m. when Carver’s 10-year-old child heard her talking on the phone with a man. A photograph of a black man wearing a white shirt and hat appeared on the phone as the call was coming through, and Carver told the person on the other line that she would “wait up for him,” court documents state. 

Police believe the phone call to Carver could have been made using Facebook messenger because a photograph appeared when she received it, court documents show. 

Carver was reported missing on Feb. 22 by her mother, Anne, who had last spoken with the 34-year-old around 8:30 p.m. the night before. Anne Carver stopped by her daughter’s Newsoms home to check in on her after not being able to reach her.

Cobb said Cynthia Carver was supposed to begin a new job as a corrections officer at Deerfield Correctional Center that morning, which is why her children were staying with a babysitter the night before. 

Inside Carver’s home, her mother found a pool of blood near a rear door and a bloody knife in the living room. Deputies arrived at Carver’s home around 1 p.m. and found more blood on the driveway, on sheets in the hallway and living room, and on clothing inside the home, according to court documents. 

Police also found “drag marks leading from the living room of the residence, through the kitchen and out the backdoor,” leading them to classify her disappearance as an abduction, court documents state. 

“There was no body found at the scene however the amount of blood observed is consistent with a subject who is seriously injured,” court documents state. 

No one has been arrested in connection to Carver’s disappearance or death at this time. Officials said she was supposed to meet with someone on the night she disappeared, but it is unclear whether or not that meeting ever happened.

Authorities are working to find a suspect in the case. Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff’s office at 757-609-2482. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form