SCOTT COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A woman has died and an 11-year-old is suffering serious injuries after a two-vehicle crash Thursday afternoon in Scott County.
The crash occurred July 30 at 1:50 p.m. on Route 23, less than a mile north of Route 871.
A tractor-trailer was traveling south on Route 23 when it ran off the right side of the highway and struck the mountainside and partially jackknifed. A southbound 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche struck the rear of the truck.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, Erik W. Schultz, 32, of Maryville, Tenn., was not injured in the crash.
The driver of the Chevrolet, Patricia L. Jones, 62, of Duffield, Va., died at the scene. An 11-year-old male passenger was transported to Holston Valley Medical Center for treatment of serious injuries. Both were wearing seatbelts.
Schultz has been charged with reckless driving.
- Northam packs ‘We Care’ emergency food care packages at Feed More
- AG Herring calls on Facebook to take further steps to prevent use of its platforms to spread hate, disinformation
- 60 inmates test positive for COVID-19 at Green Rock Correctional Center in Chatham
- New Cheetos mac and cheese hitting Walmart shelves this weekend nationwide
- Twin YouTube stars charged after Uber driver held at gunpoint during fake bank robbery