VIRGINIA (WRIC) — Listen up, Virginians! Tax-free weekend shopping weekend starts this Friday, Aug. 7, and lasts through Sunday at midnight.
During the weekend, you won’t have to pay sales tax and can save when buying school supplies, clothing, shoes and emergency preparedness items.
Virginia’s 4.3 percent state sales tax, the 1 percent local option tax and other applicable regional taxes are waived on the following eligible items:
- School supplies, clothing, and footwear:
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Hurricane and emergency preparedness products:
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products:
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for non-commercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
Fore more information on Virginia’s sales tax holiday, click here.
- Members of Roanoke community react to mental stresses of coronavirus pandemic
- University of Virginia under new COVID-19 restrictions
- The historic role of El Lector in educating cigar factory workers
- 870,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week
- Watch: Trump says he won’t commit to peaceful transfer of power if he loses