RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A Virginia mother was sentenced to six months in prison for the shooting death of her 4-year-old son.
Tiara Danielle Jefferson, 26, was sentenced Thursday in Henrico County, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.
The case centered on the death of Demetrius Jefferson, who authorities said was found shot in the head in May 2018. Tiara Jefferson said the boy shot himself while she slept. She was convicted in December of felony child neglect.
Jefferson entered an Alford plea, according to the newspaper. That means she does not admit guilt but acknowledges there was enough evidence to convict her.
“I don’t think it’s too strong to say that this has already ruined her life,” said Jeffrey L. Everhart, Jefferson’s attorney. “It haunts her.”
Jefferson will get credit for time served, which the Times-Dispatch reported is 60 days.
- Republicans praise Trump for his promise to stop protests; Democrats at a loss for words
- Protesters gather in Lynchburg for the fourth day in a row
- Lawmaker: Pandemic is impacting Americans’ state of mind
- #BlackoutTuesday flooding social media in response to racism, police brutality in America
- Dem lawmakers ‘horrified’ over Trump’s Bible photo op