RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) – There are more than 1 million student borrowers across the Commonwealth.
Those loans average more than $40,000 and on Monday, the Virginia House passed legislation that would create a so-called “Borrower’s Bill of Rights.”
It would make the student loan industry’s rules equal to rules in place for banks, credit unions and mortgage lenders.
It would also outlaw lenders from making false statements or leaving out key facts borrowers should know.
Since 2016, more than 1,200 Virginians have complained about student loan companies to federal agencies.
- VDH: 818 new COVID-19 cases reported while total deaths climb to 2,299 as of Thursday
- 2 Florida men arrested after dolphin calf, fish found dead
- Salango, Petsonk endorsed by United Mine Workers of America in West Virginia governor, attorney general races
- Danville drivers asked to avoid section of Piney Forest Road after crash
- 1.2 million seek jobless aid after $600 federal check ends