NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk Police have arrested a man they believe posted offensive stickers in Ghent.
Police say 33-year-old Samuel A. Caskey, a Virginia Beach resident, posted stickers with QR codes that would direct a user to a New York-based blog for white supremacists and neo-Nazis.
They were posted on street signs and telephone poles in Ghent starting Jan. 21, 2020, in the 21st Street corridor. There were about 40 stickers found at that time.
Police began investigating those stickers at that time, and worked with the Department of Public Works to quickly remove them.
However, the stickers began appearing once more starting June 6.
Investigation into the recent posting of the stickers led police to Caskey, with police announcing the arrest on Friday, July 3. Police didn’t say what charges Caskey is facing.
“Let me be very clear, discriminatory acts such as this will be thoroughly investigated by the Norfolk Police Department, and those responsible will be held accountable for their actions,” Police Chief Larry Boone said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP or submit a tip online.
- Army reservist from Roanoke becomes fourth military death from the coronavirus
- Christian Miller opts out of 2020 season, Carolina Panthers say
- Carolina Panthers release longtime kicker Graham Gano
- 6 states including Virginia join compact to expand rapid antigen testing
- Virginia first state to try pandemic app from Apple, Google