ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – Move over Clifford the Big Red Dog, elementary school children at one school in Virginia have a real-life version, a 200-pound therapy dog named Gabe.
The Mastiff serves as a therapy dog at River Bend Elementary School in Rockingham County.
Students write letters to Gabriel about why they need extra time with the massive canine.
If they’re chosen, they get to spend some one-on-one time with the gentle giant.
“It’s just changed everything. They come back ready and reset and relaxed and just more at peace with being with themselves after being with him.”Gerri Ziegler, River Bend Elementary School Teacher
Beyond his duties as “man’s best friend,” Gabe also teaches students important lessons about responsibility when they get him water and take him for walks.
- Murphy’s late jumper gives Pittsburgh a 74-72 win over BC
- Wild video shows Kyle Shanahan correctly predict penalty before it happens
- Member of the ‘Central Park Five’ speak at Virginia Tech
- Virginia Tech edges UNC in 2OT as Tar Heels lose 5th in a row
- Syracuse edges Notre Dame 84-82 for yet another ACC road win