ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – Move over Clifford the Big Red Dog, elementary school children at one school in Virginia have a real-life version, a 200-pound therapy dog named Gabe.
The Mastiff serves as a therapy dog at River Bend Elementary School in Rockingham County.
Students write letters to Gabriel about why they need extra time with the massive canine.
If they’re chosen, they get to spend some one-on-one time with the gentle giant.
“It’s just changed everything. They come back ready and reset and relaxed and just more at peace with being with themselves after being with him.”Gerri Ziegler, River Bend Elementary School Teacher
Beyond his duties as “man’s best friend,” Gabe also teaches students important lessons about responsibility when they get him water and take him for walks.
- Friday night fire intentionally set at vacant Danville house, fire officials say
- VDH reports more than 1,300 new coronavirus cases while total deaths climb to 2,322 as of Saturday
- Pinpoint Weather: Warming up over the weekend
- Liberty Flames hold first practice of the season
- 17 vehicles stolen from Michigan dealership 1 day before opening