POUND, Va. (WFXR) – The Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) has reported the death of an inmate at the Red Onion State Prison in Pound.
According to a media release on Friday, July 3, a 47-year-old male inmate was pronounced dead at Dickenson Community Hospital at 6:49 p.m. His cellmate is presumed to be the attacker as the inmate was found dead inside of the cell.
The unidentified inmate was housed in general population and serving a life sentence without parole for first-degree murder. The name of the deceased inmate is currently being withheld while the VADOC attempts to reach his next of kin.
The inmate’s 54-year-old cellmate is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder, second-degree murder, carjacking, and robbery.
The incident is being investigated as a homicide.
- Senior Sunday: Hidden Valley’s Sean Gibbons
- Danville residents shocked by the earthquake, but no reports of injuries
- Animal control officers rescue injured owl from tangled fishing line in Virginia Beach
- Southside Virginia Forecast
- New River Valley Forecast