UPDATE 9:32 p.m.: The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources has confirmed 23-year-old Max Bouldin of Mississippi died Saturday at Smith Mountain Lake.
Bouldin is said to have been visiting with friends in the area. His cause of death has not yet been determined.
SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, Va. (WFXR) — The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources has confirmed a college student died at Smith Mountain Lake on Saturday, Aug. 1. It happened in the Highland Lakes area.
A name for the student has not been released, but a spokesperson for the department told WFXR News he was in his 20s. The department is the lead agency investigating the death and say that the student was wake-boarding at the lake before his death.
However, the department is awaiting results from the Chief Office of the Medical Examiner before making a determination regarding the cause of death.
Stay with WFXR News for updates on this developing story.
- Pinpoint Weather: Warming up over the weekend
- Liberty Flames hold first practice of the season
- 17 vehicles stolen from Michigan dealership 1 day before opening
- Extra safety precautions to be in place ahead of students’ arrival at North Cross School in Roanoke
- Shriners cancel Clifton Forge Fall Festival due to COVID-19