FIFTH DISTRICT, Va. (WFXR) — Claire Russo says public service has been a dream of hers since she was 10 years old. A former Marine, she says she was motivated to run for Congress because of the “absolutely abhorrent leadership in Washington.”
She says her experience in the military, including advising three star generals and fighting the military bureaucracy on the issue of sexual assault, set her apart from her opponents as someone who is “ready to do this job on day one.”
Russo says investing in rural broadband is a priority of hers to ensure equal access to information, which she says is key in addressing issues such as the COVID-19 pandemic and racial inequity. She also supports expanding health care access by building on the Affordable Care Act through a public option.
“I have spent the better part of my life serving this country,” said Russo, a Marine veteran. “I think it’s pretty clear when you look at me and you look at Bob Good, I am the fighter who will get this job done for this district.”
Learn more about Russo’s policy positions here.
- Caught on video: Woman attacks store owners after card declined
- LIVE: Police who defended US Capitol to testify at Jan. 6 riot probe’s first hearing
- Photos: Team USA takes silver after losing Simone Biles
- Amid Olympics, Tokyo restaurant owners struggle with COVID-19 restrictions
- VDH reports 835 new COVID-19 cases, largest single-day case spike since early May; 9 new deaths as of Tuesday