ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Walmart stores around the Roanoke Valley will kick off tax-free school supplies shopping with “Pack the Bus” this weekend. The initiative helps families get the materials they need for school.
However, because of the coronavirus pandemic, there will not be any actual buses to load. Instead there will be collection bins at the following Walmart locations:
- Bonsack, 4524 Challenger Ave. N.E.
- Clearbrook, 5350 Clearbrook Village Lane
- Salem, 1851 W Main St.
- Valleyview, 4807 Valley View Blvd. N.W.
Requested donations include backpacks, glue sticks, notebooks, binders, crayons, colored pencils, calculators, and more.
“With Walmart’s help, we have provided hundreds of thousands of dollars of school supplies for kids over the past nearly 20 years,” says Chuck Lionberger, Director of Community Relations with Roanoke County Public Schools.
Every item donated will go directly to a child in need. Monetary donations are also accepted.
- Pinpoint Weather: Windy and Cold Overnight, Dry and Brisk Thursday
- Subaru recalling nearly 875K vehicles over engine, suspension issues
- Virginia agrees to absentee ballot option for blind voters
- Number of confirmed, pending COVID-19 hospitalizations jumps from 131 to 154 around ‘near Southwest’ Virginia
- Rosie’s celebrating two years in Virginia with special rewards, discounts on Friday