ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Walmart stores around the Roanoke Valley will kick off tax-free school supplies shopping with “Pack the Bus” this weekend. The initiative helps families get the materials they need for school.
However, because of the coronavirus pandemic, there will not be any actual buses to load. Instead there will be collection bins at the following Walmart locations:
- Bonsack, 4524 Challenger Ave. N.E.
- Clearbrook, 5350 Clearbrook Village Lane
- Salem, 1851 W Main St.
- Valleyview, 4807 Valley View Blvd. N.W.
Requested donations include backpacks, glue sticks, notebooks, binders, crayons, colored pencils, calculators, and more.
“With Walmart’s help, we have provided hundreds of thousands of dollars of school supplies for kids over the past nearly 20 years,” says Chuck Lionberger, Director of Community Relations with Roanoke County Public Schools.
Every item donated will go directly to a child in need. Monetary donations are also accepted.
- Pinpoint Weather: Foggy start with not much sunshine until later this afternoon
- Cavaliers prep for season opener against Duke
- Dr. Fauci: U.S. still in the first wave, seasonal ‘challenge’ lies ahead
- COVID-19 has Mayors advising citizens to refrain from typical Halloween activities
- Lynchburg Parks and Recreation to host 4th Annual Glow Ride at Riverside Park