HENRY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – The Henry County Sheriff’s Office says after months of investigating the death of 42-year-old Bradley Steven Hensley, a nurse has been charged with Involuntary Manslaughter.

According to the Sheriff, on Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022 Hensley, of Bassett, entered the Henry County Adult Detention Center and advised deputies of his pre-existing medical history. As an accommodation, Hensley was allegedly placed under direct supervision and regularly monitored by the Wellpath medical staff.

On Saturday, August 6th, 2022, Hensley notified deputies that he was having difficulty breathing. Deputies alerted the Wellpath Staff on duty and around 7:33 a.m. noticed Hensley was lying in bed unresponsive. After attempts to communicate with Hensley were unsuccessful, staff entered the cell and began CPR, and an AED in an attempt to revive him.

The Sheriff says that around 7:36 a.m. the Martinsville-Henry County Emergency 911 Center were notified and first responders arrived on the scene around 7:46 am. Hensley was taken to SOVAH Health where he passed away.

The autopsy report from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for the Western District revealed Hensley’s cause of death was from an “acute fentanyl toxicity with adrenal crisis due to congenital adrenal hyperplasia contributing.” 

During the investigation, camera footage was reviewed and it was determined that the Wellpath nurse, later identified as Deborah Sue Damron,56, allegedly did not perform the expected and required medical checks on Hensley. Investigators also learned that Damron allegedly falsified Hensley’s medical records to reflect regular rounds and vital checks.  

The Henry County Sheriff’s Office says although Hensley’s cause of death included fentanyl, their investigation revealed that a lack of care contributed to his death.

On March 23rd, 2023, investigators presented the evidence to a Henry County Grand Jury and Damron was indicted for involuntary manslaughter. The Kentucky State Police located Damron and she is being held in Pikeville, Kentucky awaiting extradition as the investigation continues.

This case has been forwarded to the Virginia Board of Local and Regional Jails and is pending a final review.