FINCASTLE, Va. (WFXR) — The holiday season is in full swing in Fincastle, which is where the Botetourt County Chamber of Commerce and First Bank are ready to unveil dozens of beautifully-decorated trees for the second annual Tinsel Trail on Friday.
According to the Botetourt County Chamber of Commerce, the opening celebration for the Tinsel Trail — featuring 47 trees that were sponsored and designed by area organizations — will kick off with holiday music from the Mennonite Children’s Choir at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 3 in downtown Fincastle.
The Tinsel Trail is not only free, but it will remain open to the public throughout December for self-guided tours.
The trees — which were cut fresh from a local tree farm and delivered by Rockingham Cooperative ACE Hardware of Troutville — will be showcased around the Botetourt County Historical Museum, the courthouse, and the Wysong Park areas. Signs in front of each tree will identify which local business decorated the tree.
According to the executive director of the Botetourt Chamber of Commerce, Khari Ryder, he “is pleased with the participation of so many local businesses and their efforts to make this event special for the community. It provides an opportunity for businesses and the community to work together and bring a creative experience to our region for people to enjoy from all over Virginia.“
“First Bank invites you to visit our second annual Tinsel Trail featuring a festive display of live Christmas trees in the historic town of Fincastle,” said Scott Steele, Regional President at First Bank. “We are pleased to team with the Botetourt Chamber of Commerce and organizations sponsoring and decorating the trees, to spread the magic of the holidays throughout our community in a safe and cheerful way.”
In addition to the Tinsel Trail, the Botetourt County Historical Museum is set to hold its Holiday Open House on Friday evening, featuring tours and homemade refreshments.
Officials say this year is especially significant because the museum is set to close the door to this Fincastle location at the end of the year due to Botetourt County’s renovations to the courthouse. That construction is scheduled to start in January.
Linsey Allie, Executive Director of the Museum, said they “are honored to collaborate again with the Botetourt Chamber of Commerce to help ring in the holidays for this year’s Tinsel Trail! This year will be bittersweet for us as it will be the last year in our current museum building, which has housed the Society since 1966. We are looking forward to many more years of welcoming visitors to our museum at the new downtown location in the former Hagan Law Office at 26 East Main Street.”
According to the Botetourt County Chamber of Commerce, the signs and banners for the event were sponsored by Safehouse Signs, Inc. Meanwhile, the following tree sponsors invested time, money, and energy into making dazzling trees for the Tinsel Trail:
- 25 E. Main Street, B&B, Mitchell and Bobbie Bowman, proprietors
- Arch Services, donated by The Hudgins Family
- Bank of Botetourt
- Big Lick Entertainment
- Botetourt County
- Botetourt County Historical Society and Museum, Inc.
- Carrington Cottages Memory Care Center
- Colonial Elementary School
- Colonial Mortgage Company, LLC
- Colonial Title and Settlement
- Country Breeze Heating and Cooling
- Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
- Daleville/Fincastle Lions Club
- Dominion Risk Advisors
- Earth Movers Inc.
- Family Promise of Greater Roanoke, donated by Winter’s Storage
- First Bank
- Greenfield Elementary School
- Historic Fincastle, Inc.
- Ikenberry Orchards
- Jeter Farm
- John Alderson Agency, Inc.
- Lawrence Companies
- Layman Family Farms
- Maag/Gala Industries, Inc.
- Marsh & McLennan Agency
- Member One Federal Credit Union
- Old Republic Title
- RE/MAX All Stars
- Rockingham Cooperative – ACE Hardware
- Rodney Spickard, RE/MAX All Stars
- Shiloh Farms
- St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
- State Farm Insurance
- Sunshine Service, LLC
- Toys 4 Bot-E-Tots, donated by First Bank
- The Brian Center – Botetourt
- The Kyle House
- The Pie Shoppe
- Tizzone Wine Bar & Restaurant | Town Center Tap House
- Town of Fincastle
- Virginia Mountain Mortgage
- Western Virginia Workforce Development Board
For a calendar of events celebrating the Tinsel Trail throughout the month, click here.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list