CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (WFXR) — For Black History Month, the town of Christiansburg replaced its downtown streetlight banners with ones that reflect the Christiansburg Institute.
The Institute started in 1866 as the first school in the region to educate recently emancipated slaves.
The institute changed buildings over time, and one of those buildings that still stands today is the Edgar A. Long Building, built in 1927, off of Franklin Street.
There have been recent discussions to repurpose the now boarded-up building as a gathering space for organizations of all-kinds: churches, businesses, community members, etc.
It is the goal of Christiansburg Institute, Inc. (CI, Inc.) and the Christiansburg Institute Alumni Association (CIAA) to preserve the institute’s history for generations to come.