UPDATE 4:50 p.m.: The West Piedmont Health District has announced seven new cases of coronavirus in their district today.
In Patrick County, one newly-confirmed case of COVID-19 involves a female in her teens.
In Martinsville, two new cases have been confirmed. Both are females with an age range between their 50s and 70s.
In Henry County, three newly-confirmed cases of COVID-19 involve two males and one female with an age range between the 30s and 50s.
And there is also one new case in Franklin County involving a female in her 20s.
RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) — Virginia health officials reported 951 new COVID-19 cases and 17 new virus-related deaths in Thursday morning’s update, bringing the Commonwealth’s total up to 47,856 confirmed and probable cases and 1,445 confirmed and probable deaths.
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) confirmed 45,620 cases and 1,338 deaths are related to the virus as of Thursday, June 4. However, 2,236 cases and 107 deaths are still reported as “probable.”
According to VDH’s Thursday tally, more than 1,500 COVID-19 cases are from the following localities in southwest and central Virginia:
- Alleghany County: 24 cases, 4 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths
- Amherst County: 27 cases and 3 hospitalizations
- Appomattox County: 31 cases and 1 hospitalization
- Bedford County: 63 cases, 2 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths
- Botetourt County: 34 cases, 9 hospitalizations, and 4 deaths
- Buena Vista: 13 cases and 1 hospitalization
- Campbell County: 18 cases, 4 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Carroll County: 122 cases, 4 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Charlotte County: 28 cases and 4 hospitalizations
- Covington: 4 cases
- Craig County: 5 cases
- Danville: 58 cases, 16 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths
- Floyd County: 6 cases, 2 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Franklin County: 37 cases, 5 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Galax: 140 cases, 12 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Giles County: 5 cases
- Grayson County: 46 cases and 4 hospitalizations
- Halifax County: 31 cases, 4 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Henry County: 152 cases, 11 hospitalizations, and 3 deaths
- Highland County: 3 cases
- Lexington: 7 cases
- Lynchburg: 80 cases, 6 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Martinsville: 39 cases, 6 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Montgomery County: 82 cases, 9 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Nelson County: 17 cases
- Patrick County: 22 cases
- Pittsylvania County: 45 cases, 12 hospitalizations, and 1 death
- Pulaski County: 21 cases and 4 hospitalizations
- Radford: 6 cases
- Roanoke City: 176 cases, 10 hospitalizations, and 10 deaths
- Roanoke County: 113 cases, 8 hospitalizations, and 6 deaths
- Rockbridge County: 18 cases and 1 hospitalization
- Salem: 36 cases, 3 hospitalizations, and 3 deaths
- Wythe County: 30 cases, 2 hospitalizations, and 1 death
Since Wednesday, June 3, the department reported the first death in Floyd County. In addition, VDH reported 17 new cases and one new hospitalization in Carroll County, nine new cases in Galax, seven new cases and one new hospitalization in Henry County, four new cases in Grayson County, two new cases in Montgomery County, and single new cases in several localities.
Health officials say VDH has received 4,957 records of confirmed and probable virus-related hospitalizations across Virginia as of Thursday.
- Ferrum pitcher Will Davis finds success in Martinsville
- Duke hires Celtics’ Kara Lawson as women’s basketball coach
- Virginia sheriff’s deputy who said he was attacked Friday night charged with falsely summonsing law enforcement and obstruction of justice
- Boy calls for help; says his father shot his mother in Wythe County, authorities say
- Walking through African American history at Old City Cemetery