FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — A child in northern Virginia is the first confirmed case in the state of a pediatric inflammatory illness associated with the coronavirus.
Health department officials on Tuesday confirmed the case of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) in the Fairfax Health District, which includes Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church.
Officials say the child was hospitalized May 5 and has since been discharged and is recovering at home. No other details, including the age of the child, were provided.
The Centers for Disease Control issued an advisory about the syndrome May 14, warning of symptoms including fever, abdominal pain, and inflammation.
- Top Virginia Department of Fire Programs official accused of defrauding education assistance program
- US deaths from coronavirus surpass 100,000 milestone
- Tractor-trailer crash on I-81 in Pulaski County snarles evening traffic
- Virginians struggling with mental health during pandemic: overdose, trauma & suicidal thoughts
- Pinpoint Weather: Remnants of Bertha move over the Blue Ridge tonight.