BUCKINGHAM COUNTY, Va. (WRIC/WFXR) — The Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) announced a sixth inmate has died of COVID-19 in state correctional facilities.
According to the VADOC’s announcement, the death was at Buckingham Correctional Center, which is now reporting two offender deaths as a result of the virus. This center also had the fourth inmate death from COVID-19 in the Commonwealth.
In total, 955 inmates and 85 staff members at state facilities have caught the coronavirus as of Friday, May 22.
- Drive-thru COVID-19 testing continues in Dublin, Floyd County
- Berglund Center honors Roanoke City high school graduates with marquee displays
- Southside Virginia man arrested after multi-state manhunt in connection with North Carolina shooting
- Back to the Track: We’re previewing NASCAR’s longest race, the Coca-Cola 600
- Pinpoint Weather: Showers & storms Sunday, cool Memorial Day ahead