RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC/WFXR) — The Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) announced Saturday evening that an 11th inmate has died of COVID-19 in state correctional facilities.
VADOC reported the 11 virus-related deaths from the following correctional facilities as of 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 27:
- Buckingham Correctional Center: four inmate deaths
- Deerfield Correctional Center (includes Deerfield Work Centers): one inmate death
- Dillwyn Correctional Center: two inmate deaths
- Haynesville Correctional Center: one inmate death
- State Farm Correctional Complex: one inmate death
- Sussex II State Prison: one inmate death
- Virginia Correctional Center for Women (includes State Farm Work Center): one inmate death
In addition, VADOC says 1,504 offenders and 70 staff members have contracted the coronavirus as of Saturday.
To learn more about what the VACDOC is doing to combat and prevent the spread of the coronavirus, visit the department’s website.
- Pinpoint Weather: Fall feel to the last weekend of the summer
- Can a Supreme Court vacancy be filled during election year?
- Poll workers in Floyd see large early voter turnout
- Biden reacts to death of Justice Ginsburg, rejects quick vote on her successor
- CDC issues Halloween 2020 guidelines, color-coded COVID-19 risk map