LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Lynchburg continues to see a record-high number of COVID-19 cases, with Centra Health saying their number of coronavirus patients is higher than at any point during the pandemic.
On Wednesday, July 8, WFXR News reported that there were 15 COVID-19 patients in Lynchburg General Hospital, seven of whom were in the Intensive Care Unit.
On Thursday, July 16, officials with Centra reported they now have 24 positive coronavirus cases serious enough to require hospitalization. Eleven of those patients are in the ICU.
“Our ICU volumes of COVID patients are higher than we’ve seen so far, and that is challenging,” said Dr. Chris Lewis, Vice President of Medical Affairs with Centra Health. “These are unfortunately very sick patients, and they tend to stay in the ICU for a while.”
He says this upward trend has been going on for a couple of weeks now and anticipates it will continue for several weeks or months.
However, Dr. Lewis says it is manageable and that Lynchburg General Hospital continues to have enough personal protective equipment for their staff.
- Liberty keeps three ACC matchups in 2020 football schedule
- Young boy becomes state trooper for a day with help from Rocky Mount law enforcement, K9
- 22 Virginia legislators urge Gov. Northam and health officials to suspend construction on Mountain Valley Pipeline
- Martinsville to host penultimate race of 2020 NASCAR season
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tests positive for COVID-19