BOTETOURT COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – On Tuesday, officials with Botetourt County announced they are canceling all fall recreation league activities.
The canceled sports include football, flag football, cheerleading and soccer.
Officials also noted that the Botetourt Sports Complex will also remain closed through the end of the fall season.
“This is a sad day for all of us at Botetourt County’s Department of Recreation. We had hoped that by the time our fall season came around that the COVID-19 pandemic could safely be managed both on the field and off. However, while the programming we offer and the facilities we provide are economic stimulators and clearly beneficial to youth development and community building, the risk of disease transmission simply remains too high for us to proceed with our normal scheduled or planned programming.”Jim Farmer, Director of Recreation and Facilities for Botetourt County
Botetourt County’s athletic facilities and team sports attract visitors from across the Commonwealth and from 25-30 different states each year.
These cancellations are due to COVID-19 hot spots around the state and across the country.
- Crews on scene at brush fire in Campbell County
- Man who was allegedly on the run from police crashes vehicle in Bedford County
- Roanoke Police investigate overnight shooting on Prillaman Avenue
- ‘I don’t feel brave’: Mom signs up to be COVID-19 vaccine volunteer
- Police investigating shooting incident after driver found dead inside vehicle in Suffolk