BATH COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — The Central Shenandoah Health District reports the first case of coronavirus in Bath County, meaning each independent city and county in Virginia has seen cases of COVID-19.
The notification from the health district says coronavirus in Bath County was inevitable.
“This is an unfortunate, but inevitable, outcome. It reminds us again of the importance of precautions and personal behavior in limiting the spread of COVID-19 and other illnesses, everywhere we go,” said Laura Kornegay, M.D., director of the Central Shenandoah Health District. “It really is up to each of us, and our behavior. What we do individually matters collectively.”
The Virginia Department of Health urges the public to stay home if possible and especially if you are sick at at a higher risk of illness, wear a mask or face covering when in public, avoid contact with sick people, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your sleeve when coughing or sneezing, and wash your hands often with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds.
“[Use] an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available,” a statement from VDH says, adding that Virginians should also avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth.
Other tips to lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections include:
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
- Practice physical distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
- Avoid close contact with crowds of any size, and avoid any crowd of more than 250 people.
- Police: One driver dead following crash between vehicle, bus in Lynchburg on Aug. 1
- 5.1 earthquake occurred near Sparta, NC; several report feeling quake in Southwest and Central Virginia
- VDH: Virginia’s total COVID-19 count surpasses 100,000 cases, reaches 2,326 deaths as of Sunday
- Flames schedule affected by MAC conference fall sports cancellation
- Liberty’s Gandy-Golden looks to leave his mark in D.C.