RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Virginia Department of Corrections announced Wednesday morning there are 41 confirmed coronavirus cases among inmates and staff.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Deerfield Correctional Center — 1 staff member
- Central Virginia Correctional Unit #13 — 6 inmates onsite
- Haynesville Correctional Center — 2 staff members
- Indian Creek Correctional Center — 1 staff member
- State Farm Correctional Complex — 1 staff member
- Sussex II State Prison — 1 inmate onsite, 2 inmates in the hospital
- Virginia Correctional Center for Women (includes State Farm Work Center) — 11 inmates onsite, 12 staff members
- Probation & Parole Eastern Region — 4 staff members
Virginia DOC said on its website it is screening all inmates and officers who meet the criteria for COVID-19 testing and screening all inmates who finish their sentences for the coronavirus the day of their release.
They added it’s using a separate screening tool for employees and using an infrared forehead thermometer for all people entering its correctional facilities.
The organization said they also have an extensive Medical Epidemic/Pandemic Sanitation Plan is in place and there is plenty of soap and water at its facilities.
While the national shortage of PPE is affecting them, VADOC said Virginia Correctional Enterprises are making about 30,000 sneeze/cough guard masks per day for offenders and staff.
VADOC said all visitations and volunteer activities will remain closed until further notice, but video visitation, email, and phone calls are available to offenders.
For more information on what VADOC is doing during the COVID-19 outbreak, click here.
- Retired Marine stands 24 hours straight to raise awareness about veteran suicide
- Biscuits and Gray, the Oregon kitten born with two faces, dies
- 20 hikers rescued from Devil’s Bathtub area in Virginia after stranded during Sunday’s thunderstorms
- Virginia man faces charges for fatal West Virginia crash involving utility terrain vehicle
- Good Samaritans rescue 3-year-old boy from flipped kayak