ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — WFXR Sports Director Jermaine Ferrell caught up Drumstick Dash icon Kevin Spencer, also known as “Dash.”
Spencer has dressed up as Dash every year of the Drumstick Dash. He was asked to be Dash back in 2006 when he was a 5th grade teacher.
Spencer was part of a running club. The Rescue Mission of Roanoke noticed an article The Roanoke Times did on Spencer running with his 5th grade students.
Spencer says in 2006, the Rescue Mission asked him to be the “Spokesturkey” for the Drumstick Dash and he’s been doing it ever since.
“It is simply amazing. It is so much bigger. I look back on it now and I had small plans for this that maybe after a couple of years I thought it was going to be a temporary gig,” said Spencer. “I thought in 2006, I would be Dash for a couple of years and we move on to something else. Now it is 15 years later. Each year it has gotten bigger and bigger.”
There is still time to sign up for the race. Follow this link to find out how to get involved in the race or make a donation to the Rescue Mission.
- Buccaneers fans celebrate NFC championship win across Tampa Bay
- Pinpoint Weather: Periods of rain likely with some ice possible in higher elevations
- How much do Super Bowl LV tickets cost right now?
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers win 31-26 at Green Bay, heading to Super Bowl LV
- UPDATE: Man dies after Sunday night shooting in Lynchburg