The month of October 2020 will experience something rare, two full moons. The Moon will be full on the 1st day of the month and on the last day of the month. The second full moon is referred to as a Blue Moon. The origin of the nickname is a little muddy but it has evolved into an expression that means rare or uncommon. The double full moon month only happens about once every two and a half years, hence the rare reference.
By the way, the Moon is not actually blue, it only has that nickname based on folklore and folly. The fun part about this moon being full twice this month is that the Blue Moon, or the second full moon, is on Halloween. So from the NRV to the Highlands and across the Piedmont there will be a full moon over Virginia on the 1st and the 31st. This is no trick, it is a rare treat.
- As virus surges, Trump rallies keep packing in thousands
- Ballot selfie laws: Is it legal to snap a photo in your state?
- Time may be running out to mail your ballot depending on where you live
- Second stimulus checks: How negotiations went from optimistic to ugly
- Fall streaming season is here and with it, some changes