BEDFORD, Va. (WFXR) – Today the loss of the historic former Bedford High School, years later Bedford Middle School was felt by entire the Town of Bedford. It’s one of only three remaining buildings that share a history with The Bedford Boys, Company A of the 29th Infantry Division. Those three sites are Liberty Train Station, Greens Drug Store (now Bedford Boys Tribute Center) and the then Bedford High School.
“Any small town in America has it’s one High School, it’s one Drug Store, it’s one Train Station… and sadly, sadly today we lost a tremendous historical building in the Bedford High School this morning.”Ken Parker – Co-Curator / Bedford Boys Tribute Center
Before the now former Middle School, the building was Bedford High School. The school was originally built as a high school in 1928. Next door to the former high school stands what many refer to as “Old Yellow” was built in 1912.
“Schools, like Bedford High School was an anchor to a community, in a small town. So many people attended there, their parents, grandparents graduated there, it’s a tragic loss.”John Long – Director of Education / National D-Day Memorial Foundation