ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) – COVID-19 has brought a wave of new challenges to most communities, including members of the military and veterans. To address these new stressors, the American Red Cross is offering a solution by launching an online, interactive workshop to help the military community manage pandemic-related stress and learn healthy coping methods.
Two mental health facilitators will run each virtual workshop, which is about 60-90 minutes in length and will have no more than 12 participants. All service members, veterans, and their family members are welcome and encouraged to attend the sessions.
To try and recreate an in-person environment, each participant will be encouraged to join the discussion and share their experiences. Workshop topics will include:
- Managing the stress of isolation, multitasking, working from home, supporting children, managing health, caring for family members and career interruptions
- Defining stress and recognizing its impact
- Healthy communication during highly stressful times
- Learning relaxation exercises
- Setting goals for building wellness plans
- Getting healthy sleep
- Finding a positive perspective
To sign up for a virtual workshop or learn more, call your local Red Cross chapter or contact them by visiting redcross.org and type in your zip code.