(WFXR) — Summer is slowly coming to an end and back-to-school season is back. As many families prepare their little ones for school, and educators get ready to return to classrooms, there are several events happening across the region.
From car washes to free supplies, we have created a list to help relieve as much stress as possible. See if there is an event near you:
- Car Wash & Plate Sale: Street Bullies, a car club, is hosting a car wash on July 29 to help raise money for school supplies for children in the community. The club will also be selling plates of food to get book bags and school supplies. The car wash will be held at 1927 Confederate Blvd.
- Pack the Bus: Bedford County Public Schools are hosting their ‘Pack the Bus’ event on August 4th at Bedford Walmart. Check out the following locations; Town of Bedford on E. Main Street, Braley &Thomspon – Lynchburg Office, Beales Brewery on Grove Street, Harmony Day Support on London Links, and the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office. From 12 to 6 p.m., the bus accepts donations. If you can’t make it to Walmart, there will be donation boxes throughout the community.
- Back to School: On July 29th, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. there will be a Back-to-school event where teachers and students can get supplies, at 500 Iris Lane in Danville. There will be Teacher Supplies Packages and Kindergarten through 6th-grade student school supplies. Teachers must have their id present and students must be present to receive supplies.
- Fill the Fire Truck: On Friday, August 4, the Danville Fire Department will be hosting its annual Fill the Fire Truck event at the Walmart on Mt. Cross Road. Starting at 8 a.m., the department will be collecting school supplies for K-12 students. All money donations will be accepted and will be used to purchase items still needed after the event.
- United Way School Supply Drive: The United Way of Roanoke Valley, Franklin County Service unit of Salvation Army, and Walmart are teaming up with the Franklin County Public Schools for its Fill the Bus event. From August 4- 6, volunteers will be at the Rocky Mount Walmart on Old Franklin Turnpike accepting donations and supplies. Event organizations say the supplies needed the most are pencils, pens, paper, notebooks, 3-ring binders, twin pocket folders, zippered pencil pouches, gallon and quart-sized plastic baggies, markers, crayons, rulers, tape, glue sticks, and backpack.
- On August 4 and 5 school supplies can be dropped off between 10 a.m and 2 p,m. and on August 6 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Donation boxes are currently located in businesses across Franklin County
The effort this year is even more critical considering families are unable to save money with Tax Free Weekend,” said Kianna Price Marshall, Vice President of Marketing and Communications at United Way of Roanoke Valley. “We know there’s an increase in need this year, especially among students coming from lower-income, yet hard-working households where parents are really struggling to make ends meet.
- School Supplies: On August 5, parents can pick up new socks, shoes, and backpacks with school supplies. Parents must register at a location near them. To find a location near you scan the QR Code.
- Fill the Bus: On July 31, Ridge View Bank is hosting a ‘Fill the Bus’ event for educators. If you have extra supplies, organizers are encouraged to bring them to fill the bus on July 31.
- Back to School Bash: A back-to-school bash will be kicking off at the Jubilee Center on August 13. Starting at 12:30 p.m., there will be concessions, vendors, school supplies, raffle tickets, and discounted hairstyles for students. All proceeds will be used to fund an upcoming basketball team/camp run by Meisha Franklin.
- School Supplies Drive: On August 5, the Monnelision Volunteer Fire Department is hosting its annual School Supply Drive at the Walmart in Madison Heights. Firefighters are accepting donations for educators and teachers in Amherst County.
- Backpack Giveaway: On August 6, Rebirth Chuch will be giving away backpacks and school supplies after the 10:30 a.m. service. The church says it will be a limit of one bag per child and a child must be present to receive supplies. Rebirth Church is located a 5341 s. Amherst Highway.
- Cuts with Cops: From 11a a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 12, at Northside High School, there will be free haircuts and school supplies for children who are getting ready for the new school year.
- Back-to-School Cookout: Roanoke Minnick is hosting its back-to-school cookout on August 3. This year, the school is featuring games, and of course food.
- Selah Beauty Back-to-School Drive: Selah Beauty Salon is hosting its back-to-school drive. The salon is accepting school supplies and personal hygiene items. Donations can be dropped off in boxes in the salon.
- Load the Bus For Kids: From August 4 – 6, Roanoke City, Roanoke County, Craig County, and Salem City Public Schools will be partnering for the Load the Bus event. The schools will be collecting donations and school supplies to support students across the Roanoke Valley. All donations can be dropped off at the Bonsack, Clearbrook, Salem, and Valley View Walmart locations at the following times:
- August 4, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- August 5, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- August 6, noon to 6 p.m.
- Pack the Bus: The Wythe County Sheriff’s Office is hosting a Pack the Bus event at Walmart in Wytheville to collect school supplies. Donations can be dropped off between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in front of Walmart.
WFXR News will update this story as we learn about more events.